We’ve been praising coconut oil for almost a decade now, and Raymond Francis searched the world to find the very finest coconut oil available, which we now carry as Beyond Health Coconut Oil. So we were pleased to see an article online listing 20 benefits of this amazing stuff.
Apparently coconut oil has “come into its own,” since the article begins, “You’ve no doubt noticed that coconut oil is on everyone’s lips . . . and in their frying pans, smoothies, hair, and in a little jar on their nightstand. What underlies coconut oil’s recent popularity is the sheer amount of benefits to mind, body and soul that it promises, and research shows that adding coconut oil to your diet and your person could be one of the easiest ways to improve your health, well-being, appearance, and even your sex life.”
So without further ado, here are author Grant Stoddard’s 20 benefits of coconut oil:
- Capric acid in coconut oil increases energy and reduce food consumption.
- Lauric acid in coconut oil kills bacteria, viruses and fungi, including candida albicans.
- It can be used in the bedroom for moisturizing or just for fun (a downside, however, it that it will cause latex condoms to weaken and tear).
- Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil help build muscle.
- In one study men who ate the most MCTs spontaneously ate 256 fewer calories a day on average.
- It fuels the brain and helps reverse age-related memory problems.
- Because it clears up infections, coconut oil helps protect kidneys and liver.
- It helps convert LDL (“bad” cholesterol) into HDL (“good” cholesterol).
- It’s super easy to digest. It doesn’t need enzymes, so it provides a rest to your pancreas. It’s been known to improve symptoms of gallbladder disease.
- It’s a great moisturizer for skin and hair, and can be used as a partial sunscreen.
- It helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins and improve gut bacterial efficacy by killing off pathogens.
- It can be used for “oil pulling,” an ancient technique where you swish oil about in your mouth while it lifts bacteria from teeth and gums.
- Lauric acid in coconut oil may help to balance hormones during menopause.
- It’s healing for chapped lips.
- Ketones produced from fats provide energy we can use but cancer tumor cells can’t.
- A ketogenic diet is an effective treatment for epileptic seizures.
- A ketogenic diet prevents insulin resistance and diabetes.
- The brains of Alzheimer’s patients can use ketones for energy and to help repair brain function.
- Antioxidants in coconut oil reduced inflammation and arthritis in one study more effectively than medications.
- It was found to increase bone and decreased bone loss due to osteoporosis.
To enjoy coconut’s full benefits, get the best. Our virgin coconut oil is the least processed coconut oil on the market, It hasn’t been heated above normal air temperature and is made from freshly harvested coconuts at just the right age (rather than dried coconut, which can be contaminated with mold). Beyond Health Coconut Oil also has a wonderful, subtle flavor.
- Stoddard G. 20 benefits of coconut oil. Eat This! Health. Accessed online February 5, 2016.
- For more information, since Raymond Francis’s article, Coconut Oil.